8.24.2010

New Year

I never really understood why people make New Years Resolutions. January 1st is just the first day of the calendar year; a calendar arbitrarily set by man and printed en mass and followed without question by most of the world. Yet it is not the beginning of a season, it isn't the longest day of the year nor the shortest, it isn't a day when something physically happens, there is no once yearly comet to mark its passing. All boiled down, its a day with no real significance outside the constructs of man.

Rather, I feel that a birthday is a much better time to make a resolution. It may not be a day when anything truly earth-shattering, -shaking, or -moving happened, but it is the day when we each really enter our "new year". We often celebrate it with presents, as if to congratulate us for surviving one more year (I think it is because we have innate love to both give and receive despite occasions) and we look back at the year that was. And, of course, we partake in cake. But cake, honestly, never needs and occasion or celebration. Every day can be a cake day.

It's a day that is much more personal than January 1st, and probably a much better time to be setting goals than a day at the end of the Holiday season when we are all feeling stuffed from all that over-indulgence, or when we are feeling that pinch from all the over-spending.

I guess, as you get older, you are supposed to feel worse about birthdays. You feel bad about being older, about having a +1 to that number you're supposed to start lying about sooner or later, about somehow being exponentially closer to your own ending, as if those other 364.25 days do nothing to add up. Everyone asks you, "So, do you feel any older?!" as if, yes, today is the day that my back started hurting, now that you mention it! I'm tired of feeling bad about getting older, or rather, I'm tired of feeling like I should feel bad about getting older. We are all continuously aging, and as I've heard a wise woman or two tell me, "Hey, it's better than the alternative!".

Why shouldn't we take this day and set a goal? Why not vow to change something while everyone else isn't on that grand change-y bandwagon? Why not chose to set a personal goal, as it your most personal day of the whole year? Why not look forward with purpose instead of looking into the mirror and counting wrinkles or gray hairs and actually plan to make ourselves better, despite the laws of gravity and time.

This August, 24th, 2010 I'm setting my own "New Year" Resolution. I'm going to look ahead and make a change for my 26th year of existence.

It may not be the biggest or most life-altering resolution ever set by man kind, but it is something I personally want to work on. I want to blog every day* for a whole year. I've not-so-recently got out of the writing habit. I used to write all the time; poetry, short stories, thoughts, ideas. Anything and Everything. And I used to be a very active blogger (see: druidkitty). And I've been wanting to write a blog again for awhile now.

But I just couldn't narrow down my focus. I know they say a successful blog has a strong focus, a true goal, a central idea to stick to. I have too many interests to even name. Some overlap enough to have a blog about a generalized topics, ie - vegetarianism, eco-friendliness, baking, -or- geek culture, gaming, and reading, but I couldn't definitively narrow it down any further. I couldn't decide which topics to write about, but more importantly, I couldn't decide which topics to not write about. And whilst putting blogging on hold, I've just stopped writing pretty much altogther.

So, the purpose of this blog is not just to talk about great books I've read, or tasty vegan cake recipes, or my new gadgets, or the annoying people I come across in my day-to-day life. It is to write about all of these things, and more. This is just a personal collection of thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences; pretty much this is just a journal on display for whomever care to read it.

- - -

*Everyday, you ask?: A goal shouldn't be in black and white. It's something to aim for, and so what if I stray from it occasionally. If I go on vacation, I don't want to be tied to my laptop, and if I have a paper to write, I'm not going to pick my blog over something I'm actually getting graded on.

No comments:

Post a Comment